I will go over this sheet with you before the Berit Milah.
I examine the baby before I leave, to make sure there are no problems.
1. For the first day, until you go to bed, inspect the dressing every hour for any change in staining.
2. If excessive bleeding were to occur, place firm pressure with a folded tissue on the area for 5 minutes (without intermediate “looking”).
3. Leave the vaselined gauze on the site for 24 hours, then remove. (If it is stuck, use a little warm water to loosen it). If the vaselined gauze falls off sooner, just prepare and apply a new piece of vaselined gauze to the area.
4. After 24 hours, cleanse with warm water and mild soap and dry, as is usual for bathing the baby.
5. For the next 7 – 10 days (until the redness subsides), apply a light coat of vaseline to the portion of the diaper area touches the circumcision site, preventing the area from sticking to the diaper.
6. Don’t forget, the area can look swollen, sticky, wet, and red, but it should not look infected.
7. For any problem, contact me at home (914) 937-4110, my cell (914) 262-4391, your pediatrician, or emergency room.